Thursday, August 18, 2005

If my hamburger could talk, it would say "Moo"

Let me preface this by saying that I just enjoyed a homemade pizza covered with ground pork. A little seasoning, some parmesan (pronounced parm-a-san, not parm-a-jian) cheese and a crap load of mozzarella. Now my belly is all bloated and my appettite is satiated once again. The key phrase here is "ground pork".


Why do I care so much about chopped up pig product? It all comes down to the book I'm currently reading called Fast Food Nation. From what I hear it was a rather popular book when it first came out but I apparantly missed the boat at that point and it wasn't until recently that I discovered. Now, I've read a lot of books, but this easily tops the list of books that make me want to vomit which, coincidently, is only currently populated by two books. The other book, coincidently, also involves food and goes by the name The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair. To be fair, though, I've never actually finished The Jungle because it was too intense and it made me feel absolutely horrible, but only slightly nauseous which I why I'm keeping it as number two on the list.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through FFN right now and just when I think what I'm reading couldn't get any worse, it does. Right now I'm at the section involving the total lack of federal oversight in the area of meat inspection and the prevention of the spread of potential lethal organisms in the form of dangerous strains of E. coli. This is only slightly more shocking than the section on how fast food restaurants are changing the face of this nation and it's work force.


That's all I say about the book for now. If you haven't read it, please do. I'm thinking that if you currently don't give a rat's ass (which you might actually find in your next Whopper) about the quality of meat being used in fast food then this book won't have any effect on you other than a slight feeling of discomfort which will last until the next time you super size something already oversized. For the rest of you, this book will only back up your feelings about the lack of quality and overabundance of processed food in this world.

What really gets me, however, is that so much of what I read in the book about how fast food joints are virtually geniuses about coming into small (and large) towns and totally changing the face of the economy and culture is epitomized in my current city of residence: Houston. At the risk of alienating all Houstonians I want to say a few words about this city. I live in a section of Houston that has a walmart every five miles, a gas station every 3 blocks, and a McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Sonic Burger, Whattaburger, and Burger King on every corner.

When my friends from back home ask me how I feel about Houston I usually respond with the same answer every time. It has it's positive aspects but, as a city, it has no style. No uniqueness. It's overrun by chain stores and mass production. I know of only a handful of pizzerias that aren't called Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, or Little Caesers, and I'm only calling those pizzerias for the sake of this argument. I grew up outside of New York, a city overrun by individuality and governed by the next best thing. I spent a few years living in Boston, a city with history that overshadows anything other place in this nation and which still shows it's face in so many things. Houston just doesn't have the character to stand up to my standards.

In it's defense, Houston isn't a total loss. It has an incredible museum district, it's fair share of parks, enough sports teams to satisfy anyone, and easy access to the beach, however questionable the beaches may be. The weather is always warm (if you can stand the humidity) and the people are among the most cordial in the nation. Wonderful people, can't say anything bad about them except their inability to operate a motor vehicle properly.

I know people who have grown up in Houston and think it's the greatest thing in the world. When asked if they would ever consider living outside of Houston I'm usually confronted with the same response: "why would I?" It's not difficult to believe that most people are in love with the town in which they grew up. I'm not saying that the little suburb of my childhood is the greatest place ever, but I was close enough to New York City to believe that it could never be beaten. To each his own, as the saying goes. When I first moved to Houston I spent a lot of time and energy trying to convince native Houstonians (and Texans in general) that there is more out there than the Lone Star State, but it turned out I was preaching to no one who really wanted to hear it. They didn't want to be convinced because they already knew where their allegiances lay. It was some time before I realized the futility of my actions and stopped. There will be plenty of time to tell people how I felt about Houston once I lived somewhere else. If you're going to preach to the choir, it helps to be in the correct congregation.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the work that I do, knowing that I play some role in the space program, a lifelong dream of mine. I couldn't ask for anything more. In the meantime, I'll dream ahead to days of living somewhere that better suits my lifestyle and temperament. As a great man once said, as an American I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of a good pizza joint.

Comic strip transcript of the day:
Calvin: Hobbes, what do you think happens to us when we die?
Hobbes: I think we play saxophone for an all-girl cabaret in New Orleans.
Calvin: So you believe in heaven?
Hobbes: Call it what you like.

Quote of the day: Stupidity is not what you don't know, it's what you refuse to find out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I join your congregation? =) Only a fellow outsider could capture Houston so accurately.

And if you think Fast Food Nation is captivating, you should also try "My Year of Meats". It's fiction, but with a lot of non-fiction information mixed in. It'll raise your eyebrows some more...if that's possible after FFN.

Found you through Drew's site...been a while, but I thought I'd say hi. Take care!
- Colleen =)

Fri Aug 19, 03:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I too found you through Drew's website. How are you??? I loved reading through your blog and I think it really cool that you talked with John Phillips. I mean, that puts me two degrees of separation from the space station! Lucky for you, I put you two degrees of separation from a bunch of blowhard politicians. I must say that the situation is truly less than fair! I hope that you are doing well and would love to see you soon. Planning any trips to DC this Fall?? Maybe once we convince Drew to move here?? Hope you are well - your friend, Patti G.

Fri Aug 19, 04:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home