Saturday, August 13, 2005

Dating update!

It's official! I've been blown off. I really didn't see it coming. It's the girl that I described in the previous post. Like I said, we had a good time during our little date and I truly believed there would be another one. I'm going to describe the series events that followed the first date, however short they were, and let all of you out there tell me if I totally missed something or if i'm right to be confused.

The date was a Sunday evening. I called her on Tuesday night. She was out with her friends and told me that she would call me back later on. About an hour later, roughly 9:30 my phone rang but I was, let's just say, indisposed at the moment and wasn't able to answer it. I called her back no later than ten minutes after she had called me and I got nothing more than a few rings leading into her voicemail. I left a message: "hey, this is Dave, I guess I just missed your call. Why don't you give me a call back when you get this?". Simple enough. I must have said something wrong because there was no call back that night.

Hey, no problem, it was getting late. Perhaps she would call me back the next night. Negative-o steve-erino. Granted, I was busy the whole night so I couldn't have talked to her regardless but it was the thought that counted. Being the gentleman I am, I called her again on Thursday night. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and try one more time to make contact. I was greeted with my good friend voice mail again and proceeded to leave another message, similar to the first voice mail.

Now, I have my pride (I keep it in a shoebox in the back of my closet) and I'm not about to look like the pathetic loser desperate for a date. I think I made all necessary effort to make contact and after this series of events I've come to accept the fact that I've been blown off. It's definitely not a unique story in the history of dating but like all things seated in reality, it's never as clear as you want it to be. My only question is that if she was intending on blowing me off to begin with, why would she have bothered calling me back the first time? It's a simple question, confusing at worst, and one that will most likely never be answered. However, if I want to look into this occurance, this blip on the flat line I call my love life, there is a very important and eternal lesson to be learned: rejection sucks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting at home by the phone with a tissue in my hand, a tear streaming down my face, and sappy love songs playing on the radio. It was one date and although I'm a little disappointed seeing how I found her attractive in many ways, it's not the end of my world. No, far from it. In fact, it's been a while since I've been on a date and now I'm remembering how interesting and exciting it can be. Dating isn't always the dreaded thrashing it can sometimes be depicted as. Some great things can come out of it, the least of which being a little loving in the early hours of the morning. I'm just a sucker for understanding my situtions and having closure and to be left high and dry like this leaves me in a quandary.

I will survive, I will move on. Strike that. I have survived and I moved on moments after I left that second voice mail. I may be a bit naive about the mental workings of the female persuasion, but I'm not stupid. All things considered, I more or less gave up hope at that point. That's just one of the down sides of dating, love it or hate it. Fortunately, there are plenty of other ladies out there who are looking for a piece of the Rube and there's plenty to go around.

(a long overdue) Quote of the day: I once read a book in which the words were little animals dancing and singing amongst fields of white and it made we realize that happiness isn't found in words or the people that write them, but the emotions that those little creatures imprinted on my heart as they frolicked their way across my soul.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew V. said...

Rubinator,

Sorry that the second date didn't materialize. But, as I have recently learned (going on a date Saturday myself), first dates are like trips to the batting cages.... you basically practice your swing and technique over and over so that when you get to the big leagues (a critical first date or a second or third date) you're ready.

Since you're in Texas, I suggest you get back on that horse and ride!

Tue Aug 16, 11:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home