Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Stranger in a Texas Land

What does it mean to be an outsider?

Recently I told a friend of mine that I felt like an outsider, that guy who stands outside in the cold, dark rain watching the party inside through the window. Truth is, this is not a new feeling. It's something I've carried with myself for a long time now though it's only become blatantly obvious recently. Not that I mind it so much. Admittedly, I do get some satisfaction knowing that I am different from everyone else. I can't pinpoint what it is that sets me apart from my peers, nor do I make any claims of superiority. All I know is that a separation exists and I'm in a never-ending quest to bridge that gap.

And in the whirlwind of never ending inquisitiveness I call my brain, I have to wonder if the gap is totally and completely imaginary. I mean, really, to say that me being different is an excuse for isolating myself is really a bunch of bullshit. Everybody is different. If that wasn't true this big blue marble called Earth would be inhabited by nothing else
than a bunch of engineers named Dave, and we all know how untrue (and unnecessary) that is.

No, the truth is that everyone has a gap, but it's that gap that actually draws us closer together. The simple joy of making a new friend is learning absolutely everything about them. No gaps and you'll have the pleasure of meeting yourself, something I'm sure is overrated and understimulating. We learn, we grow, we become better people because of the people that surround us. No new experiences come from the status quo. The only thing we have in common are our gross differences and our desire to share them.

I used to think my open mind was what set me apart from everyone. Now I can see the irony. If I spent more time bridging the gap and less time making the trench wider, the gap would not cease to exist, but it's most core definition will change. Isolation will give way to uniqueness and the subtle attitude of superiority will turn into compassion and love and respect. No longer will it be me versus everyone because the idea of separation will diminish in importance and desire to be part of something bigger will replace it. The gaps are not obstacles to separate us, but boundaries to define who we are so our identities do not get lost. Blurring this idea will most certainly leave any of us to be an island to unto ourselves.



Happy thought of the day: Seeing my nephew in a few days.

Ethan and Me Posted by Hello

Quote of the day: "Minds do not set us apart, only those that use them carelessly"

Bonus quote of the day: "All the little boys and girls, living in this crazy world, all they really needed from you, is maybe some love" - Real Life, John Lennon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home