Saturday, August 20, 2005

Do I look like I'm under 17?

For the record, I'm NOT under 17. And since most of the people (if not all) who take a minute or two out of their already busy days to glance over any new additions to my blog know this already, you can probably foresee a story coming.

It all started (and ended immediately soon after) Friday night at the movies. Yes, I know I already have a post that describes my movie going experience. Get over it. I'm going to touch upon something here that I haven't discussed already. Something original from The Rube? Just sit back and enjoy....

Before I begin I will first digress (bet you didn't think that was possible). Seeing how my use of time isn't the most economical I once again found myself with little time before the movie but with a lot of hunger tugging at my stomach. My solution: pick up a sandwich and shovel it down while waiting for my friends to arrive at the theater. The only other option was to smuggle the sandwich into the theater and eat it during the movie, but I had no good way of sneaking in a 12" roastbeef sandwich (ok, I had one good idea but I didn't want to scare the ticket girl).

As I stood outside the theater consuming my happiness is sub form (complete with grilled onions and peppers with a side of dill pickle), I came to a very important decision: Never will I do this again. It was a pleasent Houston evening, with only a small chance of scattered showers. There was also a 100% chance of an enormous flock of over-hormoned teeny boppers doing there little social thang as the caravan of parents slowed down enough to let the kids out of the minivans and into the world of teenage socializing.

I really don't remember the girls I grew up dressing up like hookers when we hung out. Don't get me wrong, I wish they had because it would have made my high school years more interesting. But I really don't see how these parents let their daughters (double standard? Maybe...) go out in public like this. I know my daughter (if she ever exists) will be wearing a poncho 24/7 until she's out of college. It wasn't really the clothing that bothered me, though. It was the way they acted. Now, I'm sure that you all know what I'm talking about so I won't go into it. I will say, however, if either I or any of my friends acted like that at that age then I need to apologize to every adult I knew when I was a teenager. And that's all I have to say about that.

Anyway, onto the real story. I was walking with a female friend of mine in the theaters when we reached the ticket checker. The girl collecting tickets asked us if we were going to the movie together. A strange question from the person whose job it was to collect tickets. Was she also in charge of documenting all dates that occur within the theater? (For the record, it was not a date. She's married and we were there with a bunch of people). A little confused, I replied with something along the lines of "well, we're going to see the same movie, yes". I made it two steps past the ticket girl when she turns around and asked me, and this is where it gets good, if she could see my ID. Huh?

The last I checked you only had to be 17 to get into an R-rated movie. Only being a few months from turning 28 I can honestly say that it's been a very long time since I've had someone ask my age at a movie theater. The only thing I could do was look in her eyes and say "excuse me?" But it wasn't just an "excuse me?". It was one of those "excuse me?"s that could easily be confused with "are you shitting me?" if you didn't know English but only heard the tone in my voice. I couldn't believe I was being carded at the movies. Throw me a frickin' bone here. Either way, it only took one more look at me for her to either realize that I was clearly old enough or the wild look in my eye wasn't good for her well being. I was free to enter the theater.

It's a much funnier story when I tell it in person because then you get to see my facial expessions. The moral of the story is simple: I still have my boyish good looks.

Warning of the day: If you're going to post a comment on my blog don't make it an adverstisement for a get rich quick scheme or discount drugs. It's hard enough avoiding this crap as it is and I don't want to see it here.

Quote of the day: "Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you." - Stewey from the
Family Guy

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I don't think it's a double-standard. If you saw a group of 17 year-old guys dressed like hookers, you'd probably say something about that too. Sure, it'd be for other reasons, but still...

Sun Aug 21, 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home