Friday, November 02, 2007

For the past week I’ve been forced to trick my body into believing it should be awake at hours it has no desire to witness. As I hope everyone is aware, we are in the middle of the current space shuttle mission. We have Discovery (STS-120 for those of you keeping score) docked to the International Space Station so that a new module (code name: Harmony) can be delivered and installed. Things are not going so well which means the mission is actually getting media coverage. Go figure. I’ve been assigned to what has to be the most boring shift and I find myself working from 7:30pm to 4:30am, a time period which is half filled with the crew sleeping. The other half, well, varies from mind numbingly dull to somewhat interesting. Only 6 more days to go (out of a total of 13). I need a vacation.

The following is a list of things I want to do (or just want):
-Establish a RAID array on my computer to improve my back up system, which currently doesn’t exist. I’m not entirely sure what this means yet but I read about it in a magazine and I’m oddly intrigued.

-Beef up my home media system. That somewhat ties in with the first bullet. I want to figure out a way to improve the quality of media coming from my computer to my home entertainment system. I’m not going to think about this one too much yet. Part of this goal involves taking a large chunk of my CDs and ripping them onto my computer in a lossless format. I currently have them all my music in the lossy MP3s format (this includes music that did not come off a CD via iTunes or other undisclosed sources). Seeing how I really can’t hear the difference between MP3 and anything else, I’m not pushing this one too fast.

-Take an improve comedy course. This one is in the works. I’ve started attending shows at a tiny venue in mid-town Houston. Each show consists of three to four troupes of varying experience and skill. Some are a lot of fun to watch and others, well, let’s just say they’re earning valuable experience. The ring leader, the founder of the show, offers classes. I figure what’s the point of trying to be funny unless you can pay a lot of money to do it? Classes are supposed to start in the beginning of December. I’m looking forward to it.

-Become a master photographer. This will take time. It’ll start by the acquisition of a flash and a couple new lenses, along with learning more technique and getting more use out of my camera. I’m going through a creative dry spell though, having grown tired of simply taking landscape shots. I need to brainstorm and think of something else I can express through photography. This is a work in progress.

-Find a new job and get married. I’d say the former is more likely than the latter but since neither look like they’re going to happen any time soon, I’ll just bunch them together and call it a day.

Is this asking too much?


-Red Rocks Park, Denver, CO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home