Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thoughts of an American in Germany

I’m sitting here in a Chinese Imbiss right next to my apartment, waiting for my food to be prepared. It’s cheap food but rather good. And the owner speaks English quite well. And Chinese. And German. That always amazes me. I wish I spoke more languages. English gets you pretty far, but there’s something to say about being able to say something in another country and blending in. I’ve decided that I want to learn a language and spend a year living somewhere whose primary means of communication is that language. I figure my best bet is Italy since I have the most experience with the language. It’s been a while but, as far as countries go, I could do worse.

The thing about foreign countries is that it’s real easy to get pissed off at them for not doing things your way. Why would anyone in the right mind yield to the car on their right when coming to an intersection, especially when you’re on the main road? You’re not turning, the other car is, yet you have to yield for them. We don’t do that in American, why would they want to do it that way in Germany? Why do I have to pay for a glass of water (more than a glass of beer) when I can get all the water I want for free in any restaurant back in the U.S.? Who the fuck came up with that idea?

But that’s the rub, isn’t it? That’s what makes them foreign, love it or hate it. If everyone did everything the same way across the globe, the tourism industry would take a nose dive. What’s interesting is that common sense has an accent. It's more or less the same where ever you go, but every region, every locale, every little town, has a slightly different way of looking at the world and suiting it to fit their way of life. That's why there will always be conflict in the world. Differences will exist and, as we all know, it's more fun to pick on the different kid. It's just a matter of human nature. Fortunately, for all of us, most people embrace the differences as oppposed to rejecting them. It's just more fun that way.

My train of thought has run out of steam. Had a late night last night due to conversations with a certain member of the female gender. I think she's upset that I never mention her here, so here you go Amira. You've now officiallly made it into the blog. Now everyone knows you exist. Congratulations:)

One that note, I shall bid you all a good night and happy dreams.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Be nice to those of the female gender. Remember, she dropped you off at the airport and if you are good may not strand you there when you get back.

Talk about interesting foreign language story...when my family went to Israel for the first time, our first meal was Pho at a Vietnamese restaurant. The owner, a recent immigrant to Tel Aviv spoke fluent Hebrew, Chinese, English, German, Yiddish, and Italian. Now that is talent.

Fri Sep 08, 06:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, me! I'm doing a made it into your blog dance. Really. I am. =)

Sat Sep 09, 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Hmmm...biting my tongue so as not to say something inappropriate.

Oh, and beautiful pictures! Just remember - the more beautiful pictures you take, the harder it is to choose which ones go in the album. =)

Thu Sep 14, 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yawn, this was all like, so yesterday. When are you going to update and show us pictures of you in tight liederhosen and a feathered cap shaking it with the frauleins down at Oktoberfest?

Fri Oct 13, 05:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home