Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Enough already

In case any of you are getting sick of the bitching and moaning from my previous entries, here's a little good news for you all. As you might have noticed, in addition to my desire to spread my views across our fair planet to anyone who might listen, I spend a little time with a camera in my hand capturing what I like to think are snapshots of that same fair planet. It recently came to my attention that one of the local art centers was having what's called a juried exhibition. This is fancy talk for an art show in which absolutely anyone can submit their respective pieces of 'art' for review by a jurist or jury. Yes, it's a way for us to be judged and either vindicated or shot down by someone we don't know and, before today, cared nothing of their opinion.

After so many pieces of questionable creative and skillful works are submitted, this jury reviews them all and decides which deserve wall space and which should be chucked out into space. I saw some of the submissions. Like most art galleries, some make you question your existence and some make you question their existence. I won't say which one my stuff fits into.

I submitted three photographs with no preconceived notion of how well they'd do. In fact, being the undying optimist I am, I assumed they would all be rejected. So, you can only imagine how shocked I was when I found out that two of them had actually been accepted! Granted, this isn't exactly the MOMA, but it was my first attempt at being an actual photographic artist and I'm very happy with the results. It's just good to know that I'm not the only person who thinks my photos kick ass :)

I highly recommend you drop by The Arts Alliance Center of Clear Lake sometime starting next Thursday and check out all the accomplished artists that had their work submitted. But, if anybody asks, you like mine the best.

These are the two I submitted. I think you've seen them before but you can't experience greatness too many times, can you? Oh, and before I forget, a special Thank you very much goes out to Sleepybear who helped me pick out these photos. On the other hand, I hold her personally responsible for choosing the third shot that did not get accepted. She has great taste in art, but only 2/3 of the time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

You're welcome...I think.

Would it be rude to say that, if you hadn't asked for my opinion, you might have chosen not one, but three rejections? It would? Oh well. At least I have 2/3 great taste in art.

Thu Jun 08, 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger Drew V. said...

Speaking as someone who takes photos for a living (albeit part-time for a newspaper, not artsy and scenic shots), I have to say how impressed I am by these pics.

I mean, I'd love to get a hi-res file of these pics to blow up, frame and put on the walls in my house. I can't afford $100 paintings to fill a small spot, but an 8x10 Rubinator original would do quite nicely.

Sun Jun 11, 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger The Rube said...

Thanks buddy, that means a lot. I hope you've been enjoying some of the other shots I've been posting. At the show those photos have a (arbitrary) price tag of $100. You can have them for $75...

Or you can just ask for me. I'm easy that way. I can't promise you two so if you can tell me your favorite, it's all yours. I just ask that you tell everyone that sees it that it's a Rube original and that they can have their very own copy for $100.

Mon Jun 12, 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Very cool! I do always enjoy the photos you put up, and am now damn impressed!!

And to give credit where credit is due, I hadn't seen this post, and found it only through sleepeybear

Tue Jun 20, 03:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home