Thursday, December 29, 2005

Let's try something new

Since the year 2006 is quickly approaching I thought I'd suggest we play a game in the new year. It's called "Find Dave a date". That should in no way be construed as sounding desperate. In fact, I tend to do quite well by myself. I've had a lot of time to practice. I just thought I'd take the dating world for a little spin and see how it suited me. So, if you know anyone who's available, in Houston, let me know.

And speaking of ridiculous things, there's a commercial they play down here in Texas that I need make everyone aware of. Perhaps you've seen something similar. I don't know, but it's the apex of ridicularity (yes, I invented a new word) that should be identified as such. Every city I've lived in has always been overrun with poorly produced public access commercials for desperate lawyers looking to get your lawsuit and provide settlements for car crashes and other such accidents. Opportunists of a sort and as much credibility as the televangelist who sells "miracle holy water".

Speaking of religion, it's no secret that Houston (and Texas in general) is rather strong on the religion front, especially in the form of Christianity. I can't explain why the Jews and the Muslims decided not to migrate towards the Gulf State but that's beside the point. What I find so absolutely fascinating is the telelawyer (another word I inventd) firm that prides itself on being "a good Christian law firm". Huh?

Apparantly your faith in Christ determines your quality as a lawyer. That's not a knock on Christian lawyers. I just don't see how religion has anything to do with procticing American law. Do you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Oooh, I have an idea...let's sign you up for the next edition of "The Bachelor". Maybe they'd even host it in Houston, just for you. (I mean, it is your favorite city and all!) =)

Tue Jan 03, 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

That's nothing. Out here in the suburbs we have a plumber and an electrician who plaster, 'CHRISTIAN', all over their advertisements and the requisite little fish.

I avoid these people like the plague. There is something unseemly about businesses who want to profit by harping about their "religious convictions".

I mean can you imagine a billboard for your friendly A/C repair guy saying: "Hey, call me for all your A/C needs because I'm a Godless pagan heathen". With the requisite pentagram in the corner, of course.

Mon Feb 06, 07:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home