Sunday, December 18, 2005

The man can do no wrong

I just saw King Kong tonight. That has to be, without a doubt, the quickest 3 hours I've spent in a movie theater. I'm not saying it's the greatest movie ever made but it was a damn fine way to spend my evening. There were some scenes in that movie that made my jaw drop, both for it's incredibly special effects and from the creative brilliance Peter Jackson and the rest of the WETA team possessed while making this movie. The acting is, at best, a minimal part of the movie. The visuals immediately draw you into the story and do an incredible job of not only stunning you with their realism and general "holy shit!" factor but actually become the main vehicle for telling of the story. The emotions are carried through in words but in subtleties in voice and facial expression. Noami Watts' acting is only surpassed by the emotional saturation of the face of King Kong. I know the dude was only computer animation, but they nailed it. The depth of soul of Kong in this movie makes you not only forget he is not a real creature, but makes you hope, deep down inside, that perhaps the ending of the story will change and the creature's life will be spared this time around.

It's a long movie but I definitely think it's worth taking the time out to see it. Quality. Peter Jackson is on a role. I can't wait to see what he plays with next.

Ranting of the day: What kind of jackasses take their small children to a 9:40pm showing of a 3 hour long movie with an obvious high level of violence? You have to know that there will be no way to keep those kid's mouth shut through the entire movie. I wanted to just turn around and smack the parents (smacking the kids would've been a little too harsh). I don't know whether to chalk it up to sheer stupidity (could they have not realized it would be an issue) or plain selfishness (they really wanted to see the movie, regardless of the effects on their children and all the other patrons). I'm guessing it's the latter but I couldn't say for sure. Either way, it's annoying especially when it's during a particularly intense scene. Moral of the story: Leave the kids at home. I don't want to hear'em.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I, too, want to slap small children who don't behave at the movies. But I'm not joining a twelve step program.

Sun Dec 18, 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are the same people who take their two-year-olds to Hawaii and Venice. My policy is this and I sure I am going to come off harsh, but atleast hear me out: if breeders agree to go to the Disneys and kid friendly stuff that is built for them, how about they stay out of Vegas and Hawaii? I think it's fair.

Tue Dec 20, 04:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home